Friday, April 15, 2011

TRIBUTE TO GRANDPA

ROY VERN FRICKEY
BRIDGEPORT - Roy V. Frickey, 74, passed away Sunday, April 10, 2011 at the Morrill County Community Hospital in Bridgeport. His funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday, April 14, at St. Paul's Lutheran Church with Rev. Allen Strawn officiating. Interment will follow at Oregon Trail Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. at Bridgeport Memorial Chapel. Memorials may be given to the church or the Bridgeport Rescue Unit. Tributes of sympathy may be left at www.bbchapels.com. Roy was born on April 4, 1937, in Bridgeport, to Marshall and Lillian (Frick) Frickey. He attended and graduated from Bridgeport High School in 1956. He was united in marriage to Sharon Hass on Aug. 2, 1959, in Bayard. Roy worked for the Morrill County Highway Department for 44 years. He was a member of the St. Paul's Lutheran Church and was an usher. He was a great Christian man. Roy was a devoted husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend. He loved his family, especially his grand-children and great grandchildren. Roy enjoyed golfing, fishing and hunting. He was one to serve others with a smile on his face. He will be missed by all who knew him. Survivors include his wife Sharon Frickey; sons, Timothy Roy Frickey of Peoria, Ariz., Matthew Jay Frickey of Minatare and Russell (Dianna) Frickey of Bridgeport; grandchildren, Jessica (Jacob) Martin, Amanda (Shane) Cline and Tyler Jacob Frickey; great-grandchildren, Callie Martin, Lillian Martin and Chase Cline; siblings, Virgil (Judy) Frickey of Bridgeport, Norma (Bob) Hecht of Broadwater, Audrey (Joe) Viola, Sr. of Bridgeport, Dale (Sandy) Frickey of Bridgeport, Betty (Nat) Lopez of Bayard, Kathy (Joe) Cranmore of Broadwater and Margaret (Rick) Newkirk of Broadwater and numerous nieces, nephews and friends. Preceding him in death were his parents, infant sister Linda and grandparents.

Dear Grandpa,
When I think back to the years I was blessed to share with you, words can't give them justice. I love you so much! Right now I am sad because you aren't physically with me, but can't help but smile when I think of the joyous reunion you must be having. Gramps I love your smile, your sparkling eyes, your divine wisdom, your patience, your sense of humor, well come to think about it i love EVERYTHING about you. I can't think of one thing I would change. While I don't understand while the good Lord called you home, I do know this through your death I have come to appreciate life more. I cherish the memories that I do have and look forward to what the future brings. I am so grateful you kept your box. You really did love us more than we knew. I remember sitting at basketball games and you teaching me how to fold boats. Believe or not, I just taught one of my students how to do that in December. Low and behold, there was my boat in your box. You must have cherished that memory as much or more that I did. I loved the time you took for me.....talking to the trees and the bushes. I have to smile now when I catch myself doing the same thing with my girls on walks. I need to take time to do it more. Camping was also fun. I loved waking up to the smell of bacon and roasting marshmallows around the camp fire. I remember going and looking at the campers with you. You took me even though I was home sick. It didn't matter to you. As many wonderful memories that I have with you, I will never cherish any memory more than the time you spend with my girls. They love you and I am so Grateful that they got to know you. Your spirit lives on in each person you touched and while the days may seem too many in between our separation, I know I will see you again. I know that you live and that our reunion will be great.

Now I have to thank you for our last special moments that truly are the ending that leads to the beginning. You always have a way of making me feel special and you did. The first time was in Scottsbluff Hospital when you looked up at me with those gleaming eyes and said "I was dreaming about you" and the second time was in Bridgeport hospital when you said "I saw you face in a star. You were smiling so bright and then the star slowly disappeared." You sang with me....that is my favorite thing to do and despite your struggles to breath you sang "When I was young and handsome, and only 17, I dated all the girls in town and ate my peaches green" Gramps don't you know you still ARE handsome! Then as we said our final words, You look up at me eyes sparkling, holding my hand and said "I love you more than you will ever know." I said "Gramps I'm excited for you. When you are ready you go, but tell your Mom hi for me and that I named Lillian after her." That was at 9:30 pm on April 9th and on Sunday April 10th, at about 5:15 in the morning, you went home.

"Ill be seein' you"

Always Grandpa's Girl,

Jessica Ann










No comments: